9 October 2026 (Friday) - Staple

I had a restless night. I had my usual peer in to Facebook as I scoffed brekkie. Over the last few days I’m getting a lot of cartoons lambasting bad management techniques. This morning I saw one whinging about how some companies want to contact their employees at any time (day or night). It made me think… that’s how I’ve operated for the last forty years. That’s how hospitals work. What are you supposed to do if half-way through Saturday, the Sunday early shift gets mowed down by a bus?
I didn’t comment though. Life is too short.
And the Prime Minister had posted about how he was going to recognise health care workers after he’d seen first-hand how they looked after his father. I wonder what he means by “recognise”; I hope it’s not that insulting standing on the doorstep and clapping bollox we had during lockdown. I really did take some of that clapping and tried to use it to pay for my shopping. Would you believe that Sainsbury’s didn’t accept a clap as a payment? If the Prime Minister wants to “recognise” me he can do so with a hefty pay rise. I've been in healthcare for forty-five years. It took me six years to get professional qualifications, one mistake would see me out on my ear (and did), and someone I know earns more than I do by driving a fork-lift truck round. My boss's boss's boss earns less than a train driver... This isn't news
And there was a photo featuring a horse from a TV show from fifty-odd years ago. Was it “Black Beauty” or “Follyfoot”? Oh, the arguments that were going on…
 
I Munzed and Wordled. Starting with “royal” wasn’t a bad move, but “arose” took me no further. “Baron” was a step in the right direction, and I got it with “major” on the fourth go. We then cracked on with the business of the day. This weekend is international EarthCache Day(s), and again my closest unfound EarthCache was in Staple.
Pausing only briefly to pump up the tyres of the “er indoors TM”-mobile we were soon on our way. We got to the church, answered a few questions about the building, then went on a little walk. As always our route was laid out by geocaches. We found the first two, but the third gave us grief. To find it we had to solve a puzzle, but there was no checker. We came to somewhere which looked like the sort of place where you might stuff a film pot under a rock, but the hint mentioned a three trunked tree. The only three trunked tree we could see was fifty yards off of where we thought we were supposed to be. We gave up after ten minutes which was probably for the best. (I later established that we were in the wrong place; the right place being three quarter of a mile from where we were, and about a hundred yards from where we walked past later).
We went back to the car.. but via a circular(ish) route which took us past the Black Pig. The dogs could do with a drink, so we popped in for a bowl of water, a pint, some pork scratchings and a plate of cheesy chips, Very nice.
And the car was only half a mile down the road.
 
We came home to find the new Viz had arrived. I shall read that over the course of several “downloads” over the next couple of weeks. We did “FEED THE FISH”, we had a cuppa, and I had a message. I had an email with my shifts up until February. I made a note of them, and immediately started trying to swap some.
 
“er indoors TM” boiled up a very good bit of dinner. As we scoffed we watched more “Lego Masters” in which one half of the Canadian team really needs to put her chest away, and then we watched this evening’s episode of “The Traitors”. Some people are rather disparaging about the show; the trouble with it is that to play it properly you have to be quite clever. And most of the contestants are rather thick, but not thick enough to realise that to play it properly you have to be quite clever and so anyone who isn’t a doombrain gets the heave-ho fairly early on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment