7 September 2026 (Monday) - Rather Busy

I had something of a bad night last night. It was rather hot and I didn’t sleep well.
I made toast and had my usual rummage round the Internet. I had a message from the Facebook feds. Over the past week I reported racist postings and postings of cruelty to animals. Apparently neither went against their so-called “community standards”.
Meanwhile it would seem that the reason no one’s discovered aliens yet is that we’ve been tuning radio telescopes to the wrong frequencies. Astronomers have since turned their radio telescopes to the right frequencies and not found any aliens, but the astronomers aren’t in the slightest bit deterred by that.
 
I drove over to the hospital. As I drove ex Prime Minister Gordon Brown was on the radio. He was duller than a dull thing so after two minutes I turned over to my Adriam Mole MP3s.
I got to the hospital and parked right away. There were loads of spaces at the bottom of the car park, but everyone else was driving round and round the top bit desperate to park a few yards closer to the hospital and to have to walk fifty yards less.
I went in and had a hearing test as a first step to sorting out this ongoing tinnitus. I got sat in a soundproof booth with headphones and had to press a button whenever I heard a sound. I heard some but (it transpired) not as many as I might have done. It would seem that I’ve got high frequency hearing loss. The results will go to my ENT consultant, and he will decide how we proceed. There was talk of hearing aids. Hearing aids? Seriously? Oh well… we’ll see what the expert has to say.
 
I came home and collected the dogs (and Pogo who’s having a little holiday with us) and we went up to Kings Wood. We saw some normal people near the car park, including one who seemed incredibly embarrassed to be seen feeding apples to her dog. She was rather shame-faced as she explained how her dog likes apples, and was clearly very surprised what I told her that dogs like fruit and vegetables. She had some strange idea that they only ate meat, and apple was particularly bad for them, and fellow dog walkers would look down on her.
But once we were more than a few hundred yards from the car park we didn’t see anyone else.
 
We walked a different route to our usual one, and after four and a half miles we were back at the car park. We met someone who recognised the dogs; she was about to go geocaching. I wished her luck – for all that the woods are full of geocaches (I put most of them there) we rarely see anyone playing that game.
We came home.
 
We spent a little while pondering over a geo-puzzle. Yesterday when at Newington church we had to go round the graveyard gathering information to solve a puzzle… We tried and tried but couldn’t come up with a plausible location yesterday so we gave up. We tried again today from the living room, but still couldn’t come up with a sensible answer.
I went into the garden to have a little pootle. I mowed the lawn for the first time in months. You know it needs mowing when it is long enough to hide the dog turds. The roses and creepers from not-so-nice-next-door needed hacking back, so I spent a while hacking it back. I ran round with the watering can, and then realising that Treacle was watching me like a pork (to coin a phrase) I announced that it was time to “FEED THE FISH”. All the dogs ran to the pond, with Treacle leading the charge and squealing in excitement.
 
I made us a cuppa, and saw I had a message from the GP. After last week’s debacle with the carpal tunnel clinic I had a message from the GP saying they’d sent in a referral so I should get an appointment at the clinic soon. How soon remains to be seen.
But what with high frequency hearing loss, carpal tunnel syndrome, nasal polyps, aching arthritic joints… this old body is slowly wearing out.
I wrote up some CPD, and by then the afternoon was all but done.
 
As the washing machine chewed on the undercrackers “er indoors TM boiled up pizza and chips, then she went bowling. I sparked up the telly and watched more episodes of the (relatively) recent remake of “Upstairs Downstairs”. It is rather good.
The undercrackers will be out of the tumble drier in a bit and I shall have to sort them. There’s never a dull moment in my world, it there?
 
Oh, and today marks four years since my dad died

 

No comments:

Post a Comment