22 November 2023 (Wednesday) - Bit Tired

I am very much a creature of habit… every time I am on a night shift I get some posh biscuits from Sainsburys to have with a cuppa around midnight and around five o’clock in the morning. I either get chewy granola slices or shortbread with Belgian chocolate. I’ve finally realised that I don’t actually like either, and the shortbread I had last night gave me something of a guts ache which lasted for far too long.
I was rather pleased to see the morning shift arrive.
 
As I drove home I listened to the radio. There’s been a cease-fire in Gaza, but for how long? There was some Israeli chap being interviewed who made it crystal clear that his side were only having a temporary break in the fighting and wouldn’t rest until the other side were obliterated.
This war is going to drag on and on.
There was also an interview with Ronnie O’Sullivan (the snooker player) who is at odds with snooker’s governing body because he would rather play in lucrative games in China rather than in their official matches which (presumably) don’t pay anywhere near as well.
 
I got home, had a shave and went to bed. Yesterday I’d mentioned that I was cold in bed. “er indoors TM had stuck an extra duvet on the bed, and I was rather warm this morning. Very warm.
After a couple of hours I got up and had a late brekkie, and had a little ponder. Usually after a night shift I just do the ironing and watch rubbish on telly, and sulk about a wasted day. So I didn’t do that today.
I got the leads onto the dogs and we went up to the woods for a little walk. Perhaps a short walk, but a walk in the woods is always good. As we walked I did some more filming for my latest project, this time with my camera in “Landscape”  orientation. I got some short videos that I might be able to use.
As we walked we had a minor episode. The pups ran up to some normal people and wouldn’t come back. The normal people were making a real fuss of the pups, and I think were giving them treats. I wish people wouldn’t do that, but what can you say without giving offence?
 
We came home; Treacle and Bailey had their paws rinsed; Morgan had a full belly wash. Being low to the ground he picks up the dirt.
Seeing how it hadn’t rained for over a day I got the lawn mower out. Perhaps the lawn was too wet to be mowed, but it wasn’t going to get any drier, and a mowed lawn makes for easier turd-spotting. And with lawn mowed I ran out the pond filter hose and cleaned out the filter. It was rather overdue its clean. There’s no denying the pressure filter is much easier to clean than the old box filters were, but I do need to do something about the reel onto which I wind the hose. I need some way of lifting it off of the ground for easy winding. And then I looked at the bog filter. The plants are clearly past their best, but what do I do? Prune the pond plants or leave them? In theory the obvious place to ask for advice would be one of the pond-related Facebook pages. In practice those pages are sarcasm central. I asked advice on the East Midlands Koi page… The East Midlands Koi Facebook page is that rare exception to the rule in that it has active moderators who immediately chuck out the keyboard warriors and attention-seekers.
I got advice.
 
After an hour or so in the garden I came in and was making a cuppa for me and “er indoors TM when I heard a commotion outside. There was some chap outside new-next-door rolling round the pavement pissed as a fart. He was bellowing for help because he was trying to take his trousers off and couldn’t get them over his shoe. Nice-next-door phoned me; she was a tad concerned. I went out to see what was going on. The pissed fellow tried to explain his life story to me; I understood maybe one word in fifty. Luckily his mate appeared and took him away; ostensibly to put him into a taxi. If I was driving a taxi, I wouldn’t have taken him.
 
I then spent a little while creating graphics for my Geocaching International Film Festival entry until “er indoors TM boiled up a very good bit of scoff which we devoured whilst watching yesterday’s “Bake Off” semi-final. I was rather surprised at who got chucked out…

No comments:

Post a Comment