6 July 2022 (Wednesday) - A Temporary Secondment


As I drove to work (via various point of interest) the pundits on the radio were talking about the latest disaster to befall the Prime Minister. Perhaps "disaster to befall the Prime Minister" is the wrong phrase as yet again he is up to his neck in a pile of poop that he himself has crapped out.

Having got sick and tired of him the Health Secretary and Chancellor of the Exchequer have both resigned (and subsequently stuck the knife in) together with various other lesser dignitaries. But yet again that idiot Alexander De Pfeffel (“Boris Johnson” is *not* the Prime Minister's actual name!) is carrying on as though nothing has happened. I'm sure that all sorts of other things must have happened in the world today, but very little else was covered in the morning's news.

Mind you there was an interview with a retired general who made an interesting point. Following the Russian invasion of the Ukraine, not only have Sweden and Finland applied to join NATO, but (apparently) every tin-pot little country in the world is now clamouring to have its own nuclear arsenal. The general consensus is that the Russians would never have invaded the Ukraine if the Ukrainians had nukes. I suppose the general has made a valid point. There is no point on picking on someone who is strong enough to hit back, is there?

Is “Mutually Assured Destruction” still a deterrent?

 

I got to work; I did my bit... for half an hour. Then was asked if I wouldn't mind going to Pembury. I didn't mind; it would be a day out. So I drove off through a glorious morning through some rather pretty scenery, and continued doing my bit when I arrived.

 

As we worked the subject of electric cars came up. Apparently there are about forty two thousand charging points for electric cars in the UK. However the UK will need 2.3 million of the things within the next eight years to meet the government's plans to phase out petrol usage.

So (having a degree in maths!) I worked out that we've got just under two per cent of the charging points that the country will need. Is creating over two million more in the next eight years feasible?  Are electric cars a viable option? Seriously?

Also as we talked some of the younger members of staff (they are *all* younger members of staff!) were discussing being "old". Once pointed out that she was closer to thirty than she was to twenty. "That's funny" I remarked. "So am I !" And the place  collapsed in uproar.

No comments:

Post a Comment