2 December 2021 (Thursday) - Just Say No !!

I felt rather grim as I got up this morning, but probably not as grim as “er indoors TM” who had been up and down most of the night with that tooth of hers giving her gyp.

Before doing anything else I opened up the second window of my Lego Advent Calendar and my heart sank. What was that thing? And what could I possibly say about it?

 

I made toast and scoffed it whilst watching the Christmas episode of “F is for Family” as yet another negative COVID test incubated. And with telly watched I sparked up the lap-top. Nearly fifty people had clicked the “like” button on yesterday’s opening post for this year’s Lego Advent Calendar; in starting this thing over ten years ago I really have started something.

It was somewhat ironic that the same product had caused so much consternation on some of the Facebook Lego-related pages. Other people (not me!!) had posted photos of what was in their various Lego advent calendars, and there was some bad feeling being expressed about how people shouldn’t give spoilers. And that descended into real nastiness and vitriol as it turned out that quite a few people didn’t understand the entire concept of an Advent Calendar. The idea is the thing has twenty-four windows and you open one each day up till Christmas Eve. Or that’s how I do it. Other people apparently save the box until Christmas Day when they give it as a present and then the recipient opens it whenever they feel so inclined. Apparently the etiquette with Lego Advent Calendars is “no spoilers on Facebook Lego sites until the following March”. Some people were quite adamant on the matter.

Stuff that.

There was also some talk on the kite-related Facebook pages that I follow claiming that homophobia and trans-hatred are alive and well in the kite-flying community. I packed up with organised kite-flying over ten years ago as it got rather nasty, and it seems things haven’t improved.

Kites, Lego… some people suck the fun out of everything, don’t they?

I saw that someone who’d not made any effort to contact me in over six years had a birthday today. I decided against sending them the birthday video; I don’t send it to just anyone, you know.

 

As I drove up the motorway the pundits on the radio were talking about the threat posed by the omicron variant of COVID-19 to Christmas parties. Apparently firms up and down the country are cancelling plans Christmas parties and the government's advice is clear. The Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey has said that people should enjoy Christmas but added "I don't think there should be much snogging under the mistletoe". It is very rare that I agree with the current government on anything, but it is high time someone took a moral stand (!)

 

Work was work, and there was cake.. I did my bit, and came home. I noticed that my car wasn’t doing the turning the engine off when queuing in traffic thing today. It didn’t do it this morning or yesterday either, but it did as I drove home on Tuesday. I have a theory that it doesn’t turn the engine off when the heaters or headlights (or anything using excessive battery) is on.

I suppose I really should read the instruction book and find out.

 

Once home I uploaded today’s instalment of the Advent calendar saga as “er indoors TM” forced Treacle and Pogo into various dog coats that she had found. They seemed to take it all as a big game; little Fudge used to hate wearing a coat.

Over a rather good bit of dinner we watched an episode of Richard Osman’s House of Games. We would have watched more had the table not collapsed. Oh well… fixing it will be something to do at the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment