25 June 2021 (Friday) - Awesome !!

I must have been tired last night - the bin men didn’t wake me s they came up the road ridiculously early. I got up rather later than I had hoped, made brekkie, and peered into a rather dull internet. There wasn’t a lot going on really. My fellow Ashfordians were running the town down on Facebook, but that is always the case. Those that have lived here (and nowhere else) all their lives are so quick to find fault with the place. Today’s fault? – the fault was entirely that of the local council. Apparently the local council should be forcing chain stores to be opening branches in the High Street. I didn’t think that was how the free market worked, but what do I know?

My cousin had posted an article about James Corden; a good actor, not so nice in reality. Celebrities can be like this. A friend of my mother once lived next door to Don “Lofty” Estelle who was far from the perfect neighbour. And I can remember my grandmother never having a good word for Charlie Chaplin who had been a family friend when he was young.

 

Seeing how the forecast rain hadn’t come we took the dogs down to Orlestone woods (where we found the forecast rain). But despite the heavy drizzle we walked round. With Pogo along, Treacle was far braver than she had been a couple of days ago. And despite the drizzle we saw far more people than we usually do in those woods. We met four other dog-walkers (which is unheard of down there), and as we were leaving so others were arriving.

 

Once home er indoors TM” got on with work; leaving me to wash the dogs. Future dogs (not that we are having any more!) will be white. That’s not in any way racist; that is practical. Not only do white dogs do better in the heat, but you can also see the dirt on a white dog. Neither Pogo nor Treacle looked grubby, but the bath was black by the time I had finished scrubbing them.

 

I rather wasted the morning playing Candy Crush Saga on Facebook and looking at frankly insoluble geo-puzzles. People who set geo-puzzles fall into two groups. On the one had there are those who want to give people a little brain teaser. On the other hand are those who want the personal satisfaction of knowing that  people can’t solve the conundrum that they have created. I’ve set one of these. With nearly forty incorrect solutions, four correct solutions and only two people ever having found the cache I leave it active as an example of the stupidity of that sort of thing.

 

I drove to work singing along to an Ivor Biggun CD, had a quiet lunch scoffing my sandwich whilst reading Alexei Sayle's autobiography, and got on with the late shift. As I was up to my eyes in blood groups (as one becomes from time to time) I heard a cough. I looked up and saw pretty much all of my colleagues ranged around me smiling.  And one of the bosses was brandishing a wrapped pressie. It turned out people had been talking about me recently - the general consensus was that what with losing Mum in February,  losing Fudge in April, and Sid passing a couple of weeks ago I'd had something of a hard time recently. I had to agree with them. For all that I try to put on my smiley face and make the most of it, at the moment (in the words of the song) "it sucks to be me". My colleagues had clubbed together and got me the "Everyone is Awesome" Lego set.

Bearing in mind I've never been happier at work than I have been for these last four years, I felt that was rather appropriate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment