22 June 2021 (Tuesday) - Stuff

As I scoffed my toast this morning I watched an episode of “Inside No 9” (which was particularly good) before sparking up the lap-top.

Having had an email from Geo-HQ last night confirming my concerns about the geocaching Community Celebration Event I asked on one of the local geocaching forums what people would do if I staged an event. Would they turn up and take part? Would they pop by in passing? Would they give it a miss? There were a few replies this morning. I think it is fair to say that those who always go to meet-ups would be there, and those that don’t wouldn’t, and there were a few who had no idea what I was asking. Whenever I look at that Facebook geocaching page it never fails to amaze me how there are quite a lot of people who spend an inordinate amount of time actually doing the hobby but seem to know relatively little about it. I was reminded of one young cub scout who wasn’t at all happy when I wouldn’t give him the “sportsman” badge (many years ago); despite going to rugby club every week he didn’t know how many people were on a team, how points were scored, how long a game was played for, or even the name of the rugby club he had been attending every week for the previous year.

 

With no arguments kicking off on-line, and with no emails worth the electricity to send them I turned off my lap-top and set off to work. Yesterday as I drove to work on a dry morning the pundits on the radio were talking about the rain. This morning as the windscreen wipers rattled at full pelt there was talk of a dry day everywhere with just possibly a spot of rain in Kent.

There was also a lot of talk about football - apparently there is some big football tournament going on at the moment (?) The ex-manager of the England football team Sven Goran Eriksson was wheeled on and he wittered on (for seemingly ages) without actually saying anything. This utter waste of air-time was then compounded by the "Thought for the Day" in which some vicar or other was blathering on about heart disease. It was very difficult to understand that this chap was saying because it sounded like he was shouting down a drain pipe. It rather brought back to mind the strange sounds made by my brother when he used to sing down the bath's plug hole some forty-odd years ago. I usually quite like listening to the radio on my drive to work; this morning was something of a disappointment.

 

I got to work and heard that a colleague has resigned. Having been off sick for some time, the chap isn't coming back. Which is probably for the best for him. Hospital work never suited him; he only ever had one topic of conversation which was how much he disliked the various shifts. What did he think the work pattern would be? It is a hospital - it never closes. I can only liken it to someone getting a job in a school then announcing they hate children, or getting a job on a dairy farm and then complaining about the smell.

 

Work was rather busy today; I felt all in when it was time to go home. er indoors TM” boiled up a particularly good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the last few episodes of “Intelligence” (which wasn’t bad) and an episode of “The World’s Most Scenic Railway Journeys” featuring a rather beautiful tour around Sri Lanka.

I wouldn’t mind going there for a holiday – there are so many beautiful places in the world where I have never been. er indoors TM” isn’t keen on Sri Lanka… if any of my loyal readers are up for it…

No comments:

Post a Comment