11 December 2020 (Friday) - Before the Late Shift

I slept like a log and woke feeling refreshed and full of energy… at quarter past midnight. The rest of the night was rather restless though.
I eventually gave up trying to sleep, did my COVID-19 test (negative again), made toast  and peered into the Internet. I saw that the Facebook notifications were working again – they had been a bit hit-and-miss yesterday. Facebook was rather “shouty” this morning. There were a *lot* of people taking the mickey out of the anti-vaccine brigade. And (to be honest) there is a lot of mickey to be taken. There was a *lot* of people getting very angry about how a no-deal Brexit is looking increasingly more likely. Brexit – Was it *really* all about taking back that which the UK had never lost in order to throw away everything? It certainly seems that way.

 

I then spent a little while re-writing the puzzle for a puzzle geocache which I took on which is near Singleton Lake, Last night I’d had a rather passive aggressive “did not find” log on the thing, so I thought I’d better have a look at the problem. Mind you the chap who wrote the rather nasty log is one who I would like to meet in real life, if only to tell him to f… off to his face. This person obviously gets a lot out of geocaching having found over thirteen thousand caches. However he, she or it has only hidden twenty-seven caches. None of those have been hidden in the last six years, and none are currently active. Taking a lot, contributing nothing and always finding fault… this one typifies all that is currently wrong with the noble art of hunting Tupperware.

But if the cache *was* missing I had to do something… either sort it or archive it. So I re-wrote the puzzle this morning and took the dogs out to replace what was actually a missing cache.

If nothing else it showed me that Singleton Lake isn’t a good place to walk the dogs. I let them off the leads, and within fifty yards they were back on the leads. The place was heaving with “precious princess” dogs. A couple of people commented that they would like to try having their dogs off the leads but didn’t dare, but what finished it for me was the very small man with two rottweilers that were stronger than he was. Urban dog walks are usually a disaster, and today’s was a disaster that was narrowly averted.

I replaced the missing geocache and we all came home.

 

Once home we had an entertaining few minutes as we did the dogs’ flea treatments. It is easy enough to do. You open the little tube of jollop and rub the jollop into the back of each dog’s neck. It smells odd, but doesn’t hurt, and takes a few seconds to do. Fudge never minds it being done. Sid just sits and takes it like he takes life in general. But Pogo and Treacle hate it and run in terror.

 

With flea treatments done the postman delivered my new Sky sim card. I tried to swap it over into my mobile and met with utter failure. After getting incredibly cross with it I gave up and tried phoning the phone’s help desk. Sky’s help desk was endless recorded messages which eventually told me they’d send me a text, and they hung up.

I think I’ll try the phone unlocking stall in the town centre tomorrow…

 

As I drove to work the comedy show "Count Arthur Strong" was on the radio. There has been a lot of talk about this show on the Radio 4 Facebook pages. It is obviously something of a "marmite" show in that people either love it or hate it. I was hoping for good things from the show…

Let's just say that I knew it was a comedy because at random intervals canned laughter was played so that the audience realised that they had missed a joke. The show played for half an hour and I didn't crack a smile once. At the risk of appearing uncharitable, it was crap with a capital turd.

 

I had planned to get sweeties for work seeing how I (probably) won't be at Pembury again before Christmas but having spent far too long fighting with trying to unlock my phone earlier meant I had no time. I'll get sweeties in the New Year...

And other than the Advent Calendar, everything of note in my day was done with by mid day…

No comments:

Post a Comment