1 May 2018 (Tuesday) - Floods


I had a cup of coffee whilst watching telly yesterday evening. More and more that is becoming a bad move. It's not the caffeine which keeps me awake; it's the needing a tiddle but not wanting to get out of my pit that is the problem. I lay in bed watching the clock for over an hour in the small hours. Had I got up and gone to the loo, that would have been an hour's extra sleep.
Over brekkie I watched the fourth episode of "Monkey - The Next Generation" as I've come to call it. It was rather good. As I watched I brushed up my walking boots. I'd left them covered in polish overnight. I saw that "er indoors TM" had done something with her boots as they weren't where I'd left them. I'd left them next to mine also smothered in polish. I wonder what she did with them, where they are, and what that polish is now smothered all over.

I set off for work and spent a few minutes trying to remember where I'd parked my car last night, and once I'd found it I spent a few minutes scraping the ice from it. Ice - in May? I can't remember the car being so frosty so late in the year.
I then went for petrol. As always I went to the filling station on the ring road as they do the cheapest petrol for miles around. When I came to pay I saw there was an epic queue at the till. I was ushered to the front of  the queue so I could pay and get out of their way. The supposedly amazingly attractive grannie was busy fixing the coffee machine, and the assembled throng were all waiting for her to finish what she was doing. I felt rather sorry for the woman who was actually on the till; those waiting to pay made no secret that they were all waiting for her pal.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about how the House of Lords is voting against the Government's plans for Brexit. I *know* I keep saying it, but the entire concept of Brexit *really* needs to go back to the drawing board and to be re-thought out. OK - so the UK is leaving the EU. But how is it to be done? No one (least of all those whose idea it was) has the faintest idea. And time is fast running out Surely now is the time to put the whole thing on hold whilst some sensible propositions can be thought out.

There was also a lot of talk about "Monica" (not her real name). "Monica" was a member of one of those crackpot groups that infested the UK in the 1980s and 1990s. An undercover policeman was assigned to keep an eye on what her gang of crackpots was up to, they got too friendly, and "did the dirty deed".
Now "Monica" has found out this bloke was actually a copper she has got the hump because he was a copper and not a fellow crackpot. She's taking the line that she porked him under false pretenses.
Porking people is quite a minefield. "Monica" was quite happy to pork a crackpot, but not a policeman, and has legal precedent to back her position.
Perhaps if a few less people did porking and a few more took a moral stance, this world might just be a better place?

I did my bit at work, and once home I took the dogs round the park. Yesterday we had a short walk because of the rain; today we had our usual walk round the park. Mind you we did have to take a couple of diversions – the rain has caused one or two floods in the park.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner, and seeing how it was Tuesday the clans gathered. The dogs mobbed everyone, and we watched another episode of the National Geographic’s docu-drama “Mars”. It has one or two plot holes, but that’s what makes for the drama…

No comments:

Post a Comment