24 October 2023 (Tuesday) - Not on the Night Shift

When I woke after a reasonable night's sleep I noticed something. Treacle was at the foot of the bed (not in anyone's way) and both Morgan and Bailey were lined up with me and “er indoors TM. With all of us orientated the same way there was a lot more space on the bed. I'm sure this was far more through random chance than judgement, but it was something of a result nonetheless.
I got up, made toast and watched more "Foundation" which wasn't that bad really, then had a little look at the Internet. It was still there.  However it was relatively peaceful this morning. Apart from some petty sarcasm on the home-made Daleks Facebook page (there's some obscure stuff there if you look for it!) there wasn't anything kicking off for once. Mind you there was bad news... I say "bad news"... Chambers Bar in Folkestone is up for sale. Chambers Bar is always a "must visit" place on any pub crawl round Folkestone. The place usually has five decent ales on, and for many years the Easter beer festival was one of the highlights of the year. Apparently after twenty-five years the people who own it have had enough. I suspect running something like that is hard work, but with pubs closing left, right and centre, will they be able to sell the place as a going concern? I hope so.
I sent off birthday wishes to the one friend who was having a birthday today and got ready for work.
 
The original plan for today had me doing the night shift but a colleague has asked if she could do the night as it would make her child care arrangements much easier. I was quite happy to get out of the night shift but this did mean doing day shifts today and tomorrow at Pembury. So I drove off west-wards through a very dark and rainy morning.
As I drove along the lanes I listened to the radio as I do. Much of the talk this morning was about the ongoing conflict in the Middle East in which everyone interviewed differed in the specifics of their opinion, but everyone interviewed agreed that the conflict has been going on for years and will continue to do so. In between the doom and gloom were a couple of interesting snippets.
Apparently the Earth's core has sprung a leak. I wonder if it will deflate?
And a recently run simulation of the creation and subsequent evolution of the universe has shown that current cosmology theories are wrong. However the professor being interviewed was rather pleased about this...  all the time science needs a better theory, the chap still has a job.
 
And then it was time for "Thought for the Day". If you have a minute, see if you can call it up on the i-player. Some fatuous vicar was banging on about how the frankly dire situation in the Middle East proves how wonderful and loving his god is. To me, all he did was prove that right is wrong and black is white, but what do I know?
 
Work was work… it wasn’t a bad day but I’ve had better. To be honest I always say I love working at Pembury but hate going there. I hate the coming home as well. As I drove in to work through the dark this morning and came home through the dark this evening probably a quarter of the ongoing vehicles had their light on high beam and had no intention of dipping them.
I did get home safely, but it can only be a matter of time before I’m driven into a ditch by a boy racer or because I was blinded by the lights.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a very good bit of dinner. It was good to be scoffing it at home and not being at work tonight. I wonder how many more night shifts I can swap out of…

No comments:

Post a Comment