17 October 2023 (Tuesday) - Retirement, Cauliflower Cheese

Morgan slept through last night which was a result. He was a bit fidgety at three o'clock, but isn't everyone?
I got up whilst it was still cold, and as I shaved I had the bathroom fan heater running. The nice builder who quoted for a new bathroom said we can't have a fan heater in a rebuilt bathroom as that's against the building regulations. Stuff that - for quite a bit of the year the room is too cold not to have one.
I made toast and watched more "Alice in Borderland" in which the leading characters took all their kits off in a prelude to "doing the dirty deed" but decided against it at the last minute. Usually when on telly the dirty deed is (supposedly) done whilst fully clothed. Not that I'm advocating unmorality (!) but you'd think the program writers would make their minds up, wouldn't you?
 
I set off to work. As I went I had a little Munzee session. Among other things I captured two Vorpal swords (as one does) and was rewarded with ten Zeds. Zeds are the crypto-currency used in Munzee; ten Zeds is a shade over seven and a half pence.
Suitably rewarded I headed off west-wards. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking with some squash player or other (apparently whoever it was is famous?) about how squash is to be an Olympic event in the future. As is cricket.
There was also an interview with the leading light of some exam board who have announced that GCSEs will be done on-line in future, starting with Italian and Polish next year. In theory a brilliant announcement; in practice not at all thought out. Schools will need to buy dozens of laptops, and at exam time pogger each one so that it can access the exams, but not access Google so that that the kids can’t cheat. And then un-pogger them all again afterwards so that the laptops can be used properly. That will take some time...
There was also a lot of air-time about how President Biden is heading off to the Middle East to try to stop everyone killing each other.  He's not the first to try this, and sadly he probably won't be the last.  Interestingly since it all kicked off in Gaza last week, no one has mentioned Ukraine on the radio... Am I being cynical in wondering if the Ukrainian situation is now (quite literally) yesterday's news?
 
I got to work; I did my bit. I had a chat with the pension advisers. The process for retirement seems quite straightforward and simple. I've got a meeting on Thursday with the boss to thrash out the details...
Having left home in the dark and arrived at work in daylight, I left work in daylight and got home in the dark. “er indoors TM boiled up a very good bit of cauliflower cheese which we washed down with a bottle of plonk. I quite like cauliflower cheese.
 
And in closing spare a though for Kirsty Smitten; a pretty-much unknown genius who has quite probably saved the human race. With antibiotic resistance becoming so prevalent, it is forecast that more people will die from septicaemia than cancer by the year 2050, with untreatable infections causing ten million deaths per year (one death every three seconds). However Ms Smitten has developed nanotechnology that will do for bacteria just like penicillin did for them a hundred years ago.
But Ms Smitten died last week. Aged only twenty-nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment