20 April 2022 (Wednesday) - A Rather Good Present

Another rather restless night sadly. I spend so much of the evening fast asleep on the sofa, and then so much of the night wide awake.

I got up and carried the puppies outside where both tiddled. Pooping is still a bit hit and miss, but it is still early days. I got a strawberry shake and drank it as I watched an episode of “Orange is the New Black” with the puppies slept cuddled up next to me; they are either full-on whirlwinds or fast asleep.

 

I sparked up the lap-top and sent out a birthday wish. This morning my Facebook feed was filled with all sorts of posts from crackpot religions. Why do people seen to be so obsessed with the idea that their personal idea of a god loves them and is so wonderful when the evidence to the contrary is so compelling?

With the puppies settled I got dressed, and found that my trousers were missing a button. Where did that go?

 

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio amazed me by not concentrating entirely on the war in the Ukraine. Admittedly a lot of their talk was on the latest lies of the Prime Minister (realistically a topic which has been done to death), but there was quite a bit of talk about Netflix this morning. They've lost a lot of customers and consequently a lot of income so far this year. Putting up the prices here in the UK and America and pulling out of Russia probably didn't help. Apparently Netflix bosses have hinted they will start to crack down on account sharing, claiming that worldwide over a hundred million households are breaking its rules by sharing passwords. Breaking its rules? I was told that when I signed up my password could be shared with three other people... which I have done. And the Netflix home screen has their pictures on it so they can sign in.

I suppose the bubble had to burst for streaming TV eventually. Subscriptions to Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV... to say nothing of Disney Plus, BritBox and Pluto TV. We can't afford them all.

Prince (didn't he resign from being a prince?) Harry was in the news claiming he is " making sure the Queen is protected"...  And he's done that by moving half-way round the world? A couple of years ago he was a national hero. Now he's seen as a bit of a twit.

And there was a lot of talk about self-driving cars. Even though they don't exist yet, the Highway Code is being re-written to clarify the rules for using the things. It would seem that when in the driving seat (if that is the right word) you can watch a film on the car's display screen or read a book. But you can't use a mobile phone. How does that work? Some (so called) expert was wheeled on to explain this but failed miserably to do so.

 

I got to work where there was quite a bit of talk about latest granddaughter. Everyone was amazed at how tiny she is I was rather surprised when more than one person thought I was father rather than grandfather. I suppose I should be flattered really.

One colleague had made a beautiful blanket for her which was very kind. “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” was really grateful for that (as was I)

Work was work; I again got to spend time teaching a trainee on the wonders of what you can see down a microscope. And for no reason that I could work out I got home twenty minutes quicker this evening that I did yesterday.

 

Once home I found “er indoors TM chucking tennis balls around the garden. Primarily for the bigger dogs, but the puppies were joining in  the chaos too. We are slowly moving away from two sets of two dogs to having one set of four.

And talking of dogs we've got a minor hiccup. There are what appears to be tiny blood spots on the newspapers down for the puppies, and the dogs are all sniffing round little Bailey. At sixteen weeks old she's far too young to be in season. Isn't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment