27 November 2021 (Saturday) - It Rained

Apart from a trip to the loo in the small hours I slept for ten hours last night, and woke to the sounds of Pogo having a nightmare. He was squeaking and making the most odd noises. I lay awake for a few minutes listening to him and to the sound of the rain against the window, then got up and made brekkie.

 

As I scoffed my toast I had a little look-see into the Internet. It was still there. I sent out a couple of birthday wishes then had my usual rummage round Facebook. Someone claiming to be Ashford-based was selling Lego on one of the local groups. Used and unboxed sets for not much more than you can get the things new and boxed on Amazon. Someone else was selling a job lot collection-only in East Sussex. I sent a message asking what was in the job lot but heard nothing back. I’m not sure how I get all these adverts in my Facebook feed as I’ve turned all the selling notifications off.

Other than the adverts and a few whinges about the bad weather there wasn’t much happening on Facebook. I had a few emails telling me that three people had visited some of my Wherigos yesterday. Rather than using the “found it” logs to comment on how much time and effort I’d put in to creating the software, there were gripes about how the paper logs were wet and they weren’t going to keep replacing them for me. I composed a little reply but thought better of sending it. In theory it is up to the person who hid the geocache to replace a wet paper log. In practice if you find a wet log you can replace it in less time than it takes to type out a report that it is wet. And you can get ten paper logs from one sheet of A4 paper, and you can get two thousand sheets of A4 paper for less than ten quid. So… you can replace the logs in every geocache I have ever found, have over six thousand strips of paper left, and still have change out of a tenner. My last package from NE Geocaching supplies (for the camo tape and the plastic bags for the paper logs) cost me over thirty quid.

As I have said before, there are those that give to the hobby and there are those that take.

 

I got dressed in something of a sulking mood. I had such high hopes for what was only my second full weekend off since July, but the rain outside was torrential. I went up to the attic room and had a little sort-out of the Lego I’ve been buying recently. As always when buying second-hand Lego, with every bit that is worth having are a dozen bits that no one really want or needs. After an hour or so I made up another dozen more maxi-figures including three yellow-bodies ones, and quite a few red-headed ones. I really need to count up how many more hands I need (those are what I am missing). I suppose that (like rummaging under rocks for film pots), obscure Lego from fifty years ago isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but it keeps me happy (or if not happy, not ranting about trivia).

 

Seeing a break in the rain, “er indoors TM” and I took the dogs round the block for a little walk. We didn’t go far, and other than having a poo (not me!), not a lot happened on the walk, which was for the best.

“er indoors TM” then went into town to post a parcel. Back in the day when the Post Office was in the business of posting letters and parcels there was a little post office just up the road in the corner shop. But now they are in the business of making a profit we have to go into town to send a parcel. I say “we”; I let “er indoors TM” go on her own. She wanted to go round all the shops and I would rather stay at home with the dogs. I suppose that’s just as well; after all what are dogs for if not to be with?

I spent an hour or so trying to get the telly to pick up Pluto TV (since that’s where Star Trek: Discovery is to be broadcast in the UK) but the telly wasn’t having any of it. I downloaded the Pluto TV app to my phone and couldn’t find Star Trek on Pluto TV either there or on the lap-top either so perhaps I’m not missing out after all?

 

With the rain showing no sign of abating I played “Cookie Jam” on Facebook Games until “er indoors TM” came home. She boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the sixth “Harry Potter” film and washed it down with a bottle of plonk.

Not a bad evening but the rest of the day was rather dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment