23 November 2017 (Thursday) - Minions

I was woken by the noise of the rain against the window a few minutes before the alarm was due to go off.
Over brekkie I watched the last night's episode of "Detectorists"; it was rather good. It had a guest appearance from Linda Lusardi. Famous for "flopping them out" in the 1970s I can remember when she retired from all that sort of thing. It was good to see she's s still alive. A shame she didn't "flop anything out", but you can't have everything.
However the program was rather marred by one minor point. At the end of the show out heroes were camping. In the late evening they were stargazing and were looking at the constellation Orion. If you can see that constellation in the late evening in the UK it is far too late in the year (and cold) to be camping.

I drove to work through the rain. I needed petrol so I went along a slightly different route. There has been major road works on the road in to the town centre; they've built a road island in *exactly* the wrong place. It confused me, and it confused several other people too.
I got to the petrol station. For all that the one on the ring road is the cheapest for miles, petrol has still gone up by five pence per litre over the last week. The grannie on the till was without admirers (for once), and because I wasn't openly trying to sniff round her, she made a point of making me wait until she'd finished whatever it was she was doing before she took my money.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about how the advertising of broadband internet speeds has got to be changed. The broadband providers are only going to be allowed to advertise something as "up to" a given speed if the public have a reasonable chance of actually getting that speed. At least half of the punters have got to be able to get the "up to" speed; as opposed to ten per cent as things currently stand.
Currently I’m running at about twenty per cent of what I was led to believe I might get.

There was also a lot of talk about yesterday's budget. The general consensus of those who know about budgets was that the Chancellor of the Exchequer did the best he could bearing in mind the economy is going down the toilet. From the way the various experts were talking it would seem that pretty much everyone is now agreed that financially Brexit was an incredibly bad decision, and the Chancellor has made the best of a bad job because of it.
The BBC have created an on-line budget calculator. According to the BBC after yesterday’s budget I shall be eight pounds forty-two pence better off every month.

Work was hard work, but being on an early start made for an early finish. Once home I walked the dogs round the road, then the three of us fell asleep in front of the telly whilst it played Star Trek cartoons at us.
"er indoors TM" boiled up a very good bit of dinner, and as we scoffed it we wondered what Netflix might have to offer. “The Minions Movie” was excellent. Why hadn’t we watched it before?

No comments:

Post a Comment