11 January 2023 (Wednesday) - Bit Tired


Last night when “er indoors TM wasn't looking I scoffed the last of the biccies and so this morning (once I'd sorted the puppies) I was rather pleased to get my sandwich box back. I made my trademark peanut butter and marmalade sandwiches (don't say "yuk!", try it!) whilst my toast cooked.

I scoffed toast whilst watching the second episode of "The Pentaverate". I'm not going to dismiss the show out of hand just yet, but it is edging on to the crap side.

 

Leaving “er indoors TM and the dogs asleep I set off to work. Having had the use of the motorway for two whole days, the "Operation Brock" barriers and the fifty miles per hour speed limit were back this morning. Oh well... having had a motorway had been nice...

 

As I drove the pundits on the radio talking about today's strike by ambulance workers. They were interviewing one of the leaders of the ambulance driver's union who was talking about the government's insistence that certain minimum levels of service must be provided during a strike. Ironically it really does seem that a higher standard will be expected from the ambulances when they are on strike than when they are not. The observation was made that the desire to improve the piss-poor level of service (which has been all over the news for months) is why the ambulance drivers have gone on strike in the first place... An ironic turn of events which would seem to have gone right over the heads of those actually in a position to sort the problem out.

There was also consternation being expressed about uranium being found at Heathrow Airport. A "source" said the stuff was found in a shipment of scrap metal. Does the UK import scrap metal? If so, surely shipping by sea would be cheaper?

 

Work was work. As I sat at the microscope teaching a trainee the wonders of the fine details of human blood, so a familiar voice piped up, telling the trainee sitting to my right at the double-headed microscope "I used to sit there once". It was the boss's boss's boss who (thirty years ago) was one of my trainees. She was right; back in the day she did sit by my side as I taught her the wonders of the fine details of human blood. She told me that she remembered me describing a certain element of the blood as being the “triple-B” (Big Blue B*stard). I’ve always felt that things like that stick in the mind; she agreed as clearly it does.

I remarked that thirty years ago I would have told her to "shup up and get on with your work" but these days I say "shut up and get on with your work... ma'am".

I'm rather pleased for this ex-trainee. I remember all of my trainees; over the years several of them have gone on to quite senior positions. I'm pleased for them all. But I'm not in the slightest bit jealous. I've been a manager in the NHS before. Some people love it; I certainly didn’t.

I feel absolutely knackered and have done all day… But I bet I don’t sleep properly tonight…

No comments:

Post a Comment