I didn’t sleep as well as I’d hoped I would. Six pints
of ale and far too much Nepalese curry hadn’t been sitting too well yesterday
when I then dumped five more pints and a kebab on top.
I finally got settled when “er indoors TM” alarm
went off (for no reason) at half past seven.
I got up, put a load of washing in, made toast, and
had a look at the Internet to see if I’d missed much. There was a rather
impressive squabble on the Dog Club WhatsApp group. No matter what the subject
(Star Trek fandom, keeping reptiles, fishing, pub crawls, astronomy, 70s
music, cookery garden ponds, astronomy, dachshunds, geocaching, Lego…)
eventually it just dissolves into quarrelling.
I Munzed, Wordled and hung the washing out. Ideally I
would have taken the dogs out, but it was raining and there were thunderstorms
forecast. So I sat on the sofa (with Bailey cuddled up to me) and solved
geo-puzzles. A new lot had gone live yesterday in the general vicinity of
Edenbridge. As I solved them I saw that someone had got the First to Find on
all of them this morning. That someone lives just up the road. With an hour and
a quarter drive (according to Google and our previous experience) having
logged the first one at quarter to seven he would have left home at half past
five; an hour before dawn. He logged the last one at twenty to nine having
covered twenty-four caches over a four-mile route. He must have run from cache
to cache. In heavy rain.
Some people love it.
I paid my road tax. Twenty quid for the year. That
can’t be bad. But there is now this nonsensical thing that if I sell the car,
the road tax is non-transferrable. I would have to claim a refund, and the
buyer then shell out the tax again.
And then it was time for work.
I drove up the motorway listening to a new audiobook.
This time "All Quiet on the Western Front". It's a book that (fifty
years ago) English teachers did their level best to ruin for me, but is
actually rather good. Sadly the audiobook is read in a very dull Canadian
accent, but it's better than the pompous voice of Sir John Gielgud was in
"Brideshead Revisited".
I got to work and went into the works canteen to get
lunch. I quite like the hospital dinners; I usually get myself one when on at a
weekend.
There was a "delightful lady" doing
her best to confuse the till staff in a very poorly disguised attempt to a
rather cheap meal even cheaper. I didn’t get involved…
I cracked on with work. Back in the day weekends at a
hospital were emergencies only; these days there are clinics running and with a
reduced staff weekends are far busier than they ever used to be. Back in the day
we would be called in for one specific named patient, and would then wait for
two or three hours to be called again. Today my workload was constant and
really didn’t stop. I only got a break by walking out for five minutes.
But it was raining for much of today. I don’t mind
working when it is raining.
“er indoors TM” boiled
up a late dinner of chicken nuggets and chips which we scoffed whilst watching “Tipping Point”.
I love TV game shows - many of the contestants have no hesitation in showing
their ignorance.
Has anyone honestly never heard of Pepe Le Pew?

No comments:
Post a Comment