Pages

12 September 2026 (Saturday) - Family Party

My cousin’s house is right next to a church. As well as ringing the hour the chimes went off every quarter of an hour all night long. I think I heard the lot. I got up at seven o’clock, put the en-suite through its paces and went downstairs to make myself a cuppa. I eventually found the kitchen… seriously. It took some finding. Each room in the house has a floor space bigger than the entire downstairs of my house. And having found the kitchen, finding the fridge took some doing.
The was blood on the kitchen tiles. The cat had had a mouse overnight. The fourth in twenty-four hours.
You don’t get that with dogs… Rather than playing with them, Treacle just swallows mice whole
 
It wasn’t long before we were all up. My cousin Karen asked if we had time for brekkie and got out the makings of a fry-up.
We had time.
We had a very good brekkie. As we scoffed so a red kite flew over. And some seagulls. Seagulls? We must stop calling them that. We were about as far from the sea as it is possible to get in the UK, with the closest beaches being pretty much equidistant at Southend and Weston Super Mare, and still gulls were flying about.
 
With brekkie scoffed we said our goodbyes. Ideally we would have stayed longer, but in my world everything happens at once.
The sat-nav which had done so will getting up to the Midlands did just as good getting us home (once we were on the M1 it was rather straightforward). There’s no denying that I’m not keen on driving, but it was far quicker and cheaper than the train. Trains are all very well for getting from A to B very fast. However both A and B are very rarely in a convenient place to get to or from.
 
We got home. The dogs went mad about the smell of cat. We did “FEED THE FISH”, “er indoors TM had made cakes. We had them with a cuppa then set off to Icklesham for a family birthday party.
We had a rather good afternoon in the sunshine. My plan had been to stay for a drink or two… we stayed for five as the littluns bossed the dogs about.
 
We came home where “er indoors TM got a kebab and we played a few rounds of “Ticket To Ride”, but I was wilting.
I gave up and did that which I always threaten but rarely do. I had an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment